When the weekend comes around, I always get excited about breakfast. While there’s nothing wrong with our nourishing weekday porridge, there’s a world of possibilities opening up on that Saturday morning. Lately, I’ve been all about fritters. Give me a stack of warm & savoury fritters packed with flavour + topped with delicious extra’s and I’m one happy woman. Zucchini & corn fritters have been a long time favourite, but I was looking for a yummy but seasonal version for these winter months. These super tasty kale pea fritters have been my solution and I just know you will love them too!
Kale. You might have stopped reading the moment you read that, but bear with me. I’m actually not a huge fan of kale myself, I just know it’s really good for me! And that’s exactly why these fritters are so great – they are very mild and while you do taste the kale, it’s not overbearing at all. It blends in beautifully with the other ingredients and the lemon drizzle really lifts the flavour.
These kale pea fritters are savoury, seasonal and super easy to make. All you do is mix the ingredients with a spoon and then fry them. It’s a one bowl one pan wonder. The lemon tahini drizzle is optional but it really lifts the dark leafy greens and adds another layer of nutty + zingy yumminess.
These are chockfull of kale, a dark leafy green that’s just soo good for you. It’s a perfect way to sneak some extra greens into your day. If you’re not into kale, you can easily sub it with another leafy green like spinach or beet greens.
They make for a perfect weekend brunch, a healthy lunchbox filler or an easy packed up snack on the go. These would be great served with a side salad or topped with a poached egg. I personally love to add a little of my favourite hot sauce too. Yum!
This recipe makes about 8-10 fritters, depending on how thick you make them. You can easily double the recipe and keep a stack in your fridge or freezer for easy grabs!
Well, are you ready to get cooking? Let’s make some kale pea fritters!
Kale Pea Fritters with Lemon Tahini Drizzle
For the fritters:
- 4 cups kale (130 grams) frozen or fresh, finely chopped
- 1 cup peas (130 grams) frozen or fresh
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 cup chickpea flour (120 grams)
- 2 tablespoon flax seeds ground or broken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup water (180ml)
- 2 tablespoon oil (if using) for frying
For the drizzle:
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon hot water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all fritter ingredients except the oil: kale, peas, garlic, spring onion, chickpea flour, flax seeds, cumin, salt and water. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined. Let the mixture rest for at least 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the tahini lemon drizzle: in a little bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice and water and stir to combine. If needed, add a little more water to loosen the drizzle a little.
- Heat up a large non-stick pan/skillet and add a little oil. Stir the batter through once more – it's okay if the mixture seems a little chunky as it will come together while frying. Use a spoon to drop the batter into the pan to create round patties. Press down a little to flatten it out. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on both sides until slightly browned.
- Serve immediately: stack the fritters and pour the drizzle over. Add a little of your favourite hot sauce & enjoy!
- You can make these fritters oil free – use a good non stick pan or skillet and reduce the heat a little while cooking.
- You can keep these up to three days in the fridge and eat cold or gently reheat before serving.
- These are also great served with chopped up tomatoes or salsa, a red pepper relish or pickled onions.
Did you try this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment down below or share it on instagram using #eatyourdailygreens.